Night Lights

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Exordium!

Ah the inaugural post. (the truth be told, I can't preview the site until I post something, but then I guess what else is a blog for?)

A bit about the name first I guess... Reach Ix.... I've spent the better part of the night trying to come up with something original, catchy, short, succinct and distinctly me. I'll let you all decide if I failed or not, but frankly at this point: Frankly dear... I don't give a damn.

It all comes down to history...Mayan history or mythology I guess. I was always fascinated with one fact about Mayan history that for reasons that have not been fully explained the Mayan civilization more or less just disappeared. True it was likely due to some drought, famine, war or the such, but what I found interesting as a young kid was that the Mayan calendar more or less predicted this.

The Mayan calendar comes to an abrupt end on December 22, 2012, when they believed the fourth world we live in now will end and the fifth and final world would begin. They thought of it as more of a renaissance rebirth rather than total destruction; and according to one site, the end of the age of Materialism and a return to a more natural state of living. All of which I finding interesting, in a mythological way.

So next task: how to express December 22, 2012. This date in the Julian calendar is December 9, 2012 and expressed in Latin: Dies Saturni IX December 2012. So we got the Ix... thought Dies Saturni might be interesting... but too long. I also found the the letters Ix figure predominately in Mayan mythology, so the search was for a shorter expression.

Ix is also tied into Frank Herbert's Dune my favourite Sci-fi series, but for another time.

A buddy of mine has a website called "pushstudio" simple straightforward and to the point (check out the site too... good stuff!). So I thought Reach... trying to reach for more, reach back, reach forward, reach for.....whatever you're looking for, desire, want.

So Reach Ix was born.
love it. hate it. be indifferent. It is what it is.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"was always fascinated with one fact about Mayan history that for reasons that have not been fully explained the Mayan civilization more or less just disappeared. True it was likely due to some drought, famine, war or the such"

Forget drought, famine, and war. It was the white man.

- Brother